Learn to Properly Install a Car Seat by Visiting a Child Passenger Safety Tech (CPST)
One of the best ways to ensure that you know how to properly install a car seat, is with a visit to a Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST).
The visit usually takes about 20-30 minutes, but the CPST should take all the time necessary to ensure that you feel competent and confident in re-securing a car seat into your vehicle and re-buckling your child into their car seat on your own.
Card your tech! Ask to see proof of his or her current certification.
During the check up, a CPST will:
- Fill out a checklist form (including car seat type, location in vehicle, misuse observations, if any, etc.).
- Review car seat selection appropriate for your child’s age, size, and review factors affecting proper use.
- Review the restraint manufacturer’s instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual with you.
- Ensure that an appropriate seating position in the vehicle is being used, especially when using LATCH.
- Check the car seat for recalls, visible damage, and an expiration date.
- Have you install the car seat(s) correctly using either the seat belt or LATCH system.
- You should feel free to ask how to install the seat in different seating positions.
- Discuss the next steps for each child, such as when to move to the next type of restraint:
- Rear- to forward-facing car seat
- Forward-facing harnessed seat to a belt-positioning booster seat
- Belt-positioning booster to an adult safety belt
- Discuss safety in and around the vehicle (never leaving kids unattended, walking around the vehicle before moving, etc.)
- Discuss your state laws and best practice recommendations for occupant safety.
To find a CPST near you, check out this handy NHTSA Child Car Seat Inspection Station Locator tool.
- Top 5 Things You Need to Know About Infant Car Seats
- Car Seat Safety
- Air Protect + The Latest in Car Seat Safety
- About Air Protect +
- Introducing the Advance 70 Air + from Safety 1st
- Tips to Prevent Hyperthermia
- Success Stories
- About Air Protect® Technology
- How Air Protect® Saves Lives
- Car Seat Installation
- Car Seat Recommendations and Buying Guide
- Infant Car Seat Installation Tips
- Convertible Car Seat Installation Tips
- Seat Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat Installation Tips
- Dorel Technical Center
- Dorel Technical Center for Child Safety Tour
- Car Seat Testing
- Advice and Insights for the American Academy of Pediatrics' (AAP) Car Seat Recommendations
- Jennifer Huebner From AAA Discusses Car Seat Safety
- Focus on Safety