FAQs : Gates
- I need new hinges for my gate but I cannot find my model information. Why can’t you just send me hinges?
- We manufacture many styles of gates. Not all of the gate hardware is manufactured the same. For example; some hinges have 2 screw holes and some have 3 screw holes. Using the incorrect hardware may result in the holes in the doorway and the hinges not matching up to give a good secure fit. If the model number and manufacture date are no longer readable you can send us pictures of the front and rear of the gate, let us know approximately how long ago the gate was purchased and we will be happy to identify the gate and check the availability of replacement hardware. We do apologize for your inconvenience but we must follow this procedure to ensure your child's safety.
- What is the spacer that is included in my gate hardware used for?
- The spacer would be used when there is a baseboard where the gate is being installed. You would place the spacer behind the top hinge before securing the hinge to the doorway. This will hold the top hinge the same distance from the doorway as the bottom hinge would be with the baseboard.
- What is the gate stop that is attached to the battery door used for?
- The gate stop is used to prevent the gate from swinging open in one direction. For example; if the gate is used at the top of the stairs the gate stop can be used to prevent the gate from swinging out over the stairs.
- Has my gate ever been recalled?
Please click on the following website to access our Safety Notices section to see if your model number and manufacture date is involved in a recall.
- Can my gate be used at the top of the stairs?
- You can use your gate at the top of the stairs if it has hardware to connect to the door frame. You cannot use a pressure mounted gate at the top of the stairs.
Never use this gate with a child able to climb over or dislodge/open the gate or enclosure.
Always install a gate as close to the floor as possible when used as a pressure mounted gate.
- Does my gate have a warranty?
- Dorel Juvenile Group warrants its products to be free from defects in workmanship and material under normal household use and service for 90 days following date of purchase for most products. Some of our gates have a 1 year limited warranty. This warranty shall not apply to damages arising from neglect, accidental damage, or commercial use of the product. This is a limited warranty. Liability for consequential property damage is expressly excluded. Proof of purchase is required. To make a claim under this warranty, you must contact Dorel Juvenile Group''s Consumer Relations Department by emailing email@example.com, by faxing at 1-800-207-8182, or by writing to the following address:
Dorel Juvenile Group
Consumer Relations Department
P.O. Box 2609
Columbus, IN 47202-2609
You may also contact the Consumer Relations Department at 1-800-544-1108 to speak to a Consumer Relations Representative. Hours of operation are Monday - Thursday 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST and 7:00 AM to 4:30 PM EST on Friday. Proof of purchase is required.
- What is the recommended age for the gates?
- Gates are recommended for use with children 6 months to 24 months of age. Gates should never be used with a child able to climb over or dislodge/open the gate or enclosure.
- Where can I find the model number on my gate?
If you only have a single center adjust knob you will want to fully expand the gate. In the center area you will find the Safety 1st address and below that the product number. If you have two adjusting knobs you will need to look below the handle for the same information. This information can be found raised in the plastic on the unfinished side of the gate. If your gate adjusts by pulling the handle up to the second position, then your model information will be on a warning sticker on one end of the gate, it normally says "No." All letters that follow the numbers are part of the model information.
Some gates will have the model number on the instructions. The manufacture date could be found on a sticker. If you have the SmartLight stair gate, you will find the manufacture date on the inside of the battery cover.